The Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) has provided advice to support immunisation providers ahead of this year’s influenza season.
The ATAGI advice indicates:
- Annual vaccination is the most important measure to prevent influenza and its complications
- Annual influenza vaccination is recommended for all persons 6 months of age and over
- For adults aged 65 years and over, two higher-immunogenicity trivalent influenza vaccine (TIV) formulations (one a ‘high-dose’ vaccine and another containing an adjuvant) are available and National Immunisation Program funded
- Quadrivalent influenza vaccines (QIVs) continue to be clinically recommended for those under the age of 65 years.
*Note -Book an appointment to discuss Flu vaccine and if you are eligible for a free Government funded Vaccine and if it is available
Year 7 secondary school 2018 vaccination program
The Year 7 secondary school 2018 vaccination program provides free vaccinations for students (or age equivalent 12 to 13 years in the community).
Year 7 vaccination program:
- Human Papillomavirus vaccine – Gardasil® 9, a 2 dose course
- Diphtheria-Tetanus-Pertussis vaccine – Boostrix®, a single dose
Year 10 secondary school 2018 vaccination program
The Year 10 secondary school 2018 vaccination program provides free vaccine for students (or age equivalent 15 to 16 years in the community).
Year 10 vaccination program ends 31 December 2018:
- Meningococcal A,C,W,Y – Menactra®, a single dose
Free vaccination programs for men who have sex with men (MSM)
There has been a recent increase in notifiable conditions and changes in vaccines available for patients who are men who have sex with men (MSM).
From 22 January 2018 until 31 December 2018 all men who have sex with men (MSM) who live in Victoria will be able to get access to a free, two dose course of hepatitis A vaccine.
From 11 December 2017 until 31 December 2018 all men who have sex with men (MSM) who live in Victoria are able to access free meningococcal ACWY vaccine.
All men who have sex with men (MSM) who live in Victoria have access to a free course of HPV vaccine until 31 December 2018.
Immunisation is the best protection against hepatitis B infection and a course of vaccination is recommended for all babies and those in high-risk groups. In Victoria, free hepatitis B vaccine is provided for men who have sex with men and people living with HIV.
All MSM will be able to access the vaccine through DRMC and other registered immunisation providers in Victoria, including sexual health clinics.